Jennifer Richardson is an American Anglophile who spent three years living in a Cotswold village populated straight out of English central casting. Fumbling aristocrats, gentlemen farmers, and a village idiot—a role she mostly played herself—all provided the source material for her memoir, Americashire.
She is currently working on a book about work—or more precisely, what you would do if you didn’t have to work—drawing inspiration from artists, entertainers, philosophers, philanthropists, entrepreneurs, economists, and remarkable people from all walks of life. To proscratinate writing said book, she’s also working on Booketlist, an app that helps readers build a lifetime reading plan.
Her husband is an Englishman who, although not the village idiot, provides her with ample writing material. They currently live in California and visit the Cotswolds regularly.
Here are some other things Jennifer has written about:
- Food & Drink
- Edible Ojai & Ventura County: Hip Vegan: A Fresh Start (Spring 2019); A Primer on Whisky: All Drams, No Drama (Winter 2018); Nate Pidduck: Art of the Plate (Spring 2018); Camarillo: Up and Down the Boulevard (Fall 2017); Restaurant Staff Meals Are Family Style (Summer 2017); The Literature of Libations (Winter 2016); Mexican Restaurants of “The Avenue” in Ventura (Fall 2015); Cool Down Lickity-Split This Summer with Ice Pops (Summer 2015); The Spirits Are Calling: Behind the scenes of Ojai’s burgeoning bartending club (Spring 2015); Pros At Home: Profile of baker Katherine Glassman (Winter 2014)
- Anthologized in A Cup of Culture and a Pinch of Crisis: Tales from a Small Planet, the Food Edition
- Remedy Quarterly Issue 20: Eating the Avenue
- The Reject Pile: I’m Red Velvet, the Culinary Comeback Kid
- ExBerliner: Patti Smith’s Berlin
- Full Grown People: Lift
- Panorama: The Journal of Intelligent Travel: High Hopes on the Cotswold Way
- Tales from a Small Planet: The £400 Fruitcake and Other Lessons on Fitting In
- Full Grown People: Memento Mori; Peach Courage; The Fear
- Maximum Middle Age: The Realities of Living Apart Together
- The Rumpus: Big Pharma Wants to Date Me, and Other Quirks of Being Sick in America
And some Americashire-related tidbits:
- Excerpts on Expatica, Anglotopia.net, and Transitions Abroad
- A guided walk from Americashire on the Ordnance Survey blog
- Q&A with Just Landed, Expat Info Desk, WOW! Women on Writing, and Wake Forest Magazine
- Reviews on Anglotopia.net, Hometown Pasadena, and IndieReader
- All About the Book on IndieReader
- Radio interview about childfree life on ‘In Search of Fertility’ with Victoria Hopewell
- Americashire is the 2013 Indie Reader Discovery Award winner for travel writing